Visit Sasha Cohen's Website
Figure Skating - Singles
2006 Olympic silver medalist
2010 Olympic hopeful
Date of birth:1984
Hometown: Newport Beach, Calif.
Residence: Carona del Mar, Calif.
Short List Performance
- 2006 Olympic Winter Games silver medalist
- 2002 Olympic Winter Games - fourth
- 2002 World Championships - fourth
- 2003 World Championships - fourth
- 2004 World Championships silver medalist
- 2005 World Championships silver medalist
- 2006 World Championships bronze medalist
After retiring following the 2006 Olympic Winter Games, Cohen has decided to return to the sport, seeking a spot on the 2010 U.S. Olympic Team. She instantly becomes the most decorated active female skater in the country with three World Championships medals and a silver medal from Torino. It's anyone's guess as to how much rust she will have to shake off, but there is no question that the talent is there. The opening is smaller to make the team in 2010 since the U.S. only has two spots available in ladies figure skating.
Cohen's given name is Alexandra Pauline Cohen. Her first name was shortened to Sasha because it is a nickname for Alexandra in her mother's native Ukraine. She has a younger sister, Natasha. Cohen began skating at age 7 with a friend but also competed in gymnastics growing up, winning various awards.
Off the ice, Cohen has not shied away from the spotlight. In addition to multiple TV show appearances, she has done commercials for Simply Saline, a nasal mist, and Got Milk? She also has worked with various charities, including Girls Inc. for teenagers in need and the Connecticut Children's Medical Center.
Did You Know...?
- Long-term goal is work as a fashion designer or in the entertainment industry
- Played herself in a 2006 episode of NBC's "Las Vegas"
- Guest judged a Bravo episode of "Project Runway"
- Acted in the indie film "Moondance Alexander" in 2006 as a horseback rider
Image by Harry How/Getty Images