USA Cycling's staff attorney will perform both legal and business related tasks and assist in supporting USA Cycling's organizational strategies. The staff attorney will interact with USA Cycling's outside counsel and will be responsible for monitoring the company's litigation, and will also be directly involved in business transactions and in negotiating contracts.
1. Work in conjunction with USA Cycling Staff and its Board of Directors to ensure consistent application and interpretation of USA Cycling by-laws, rules & regulations, and the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act.
2. Manage collection and disclosure of conflict of interest disclosure other policy forms.
3. Draft and/or review all contracts and agreements before being submitted to CFO/COO for review and execution by USA Cycling.
4. Ensure the organization conducts its business in compliance with all laws and regulations.
5. Provide legal advice to USA Cycling management on business matters in a wide range of topics.
6. Structure and manage the organizations internal legal and regulation functions.
7. Manage risk of organization including securing insurance policies, analyzing the insurance policies in detail and analyzing claims to keep costs down.
8. Manage insurance relationships and answer questions on insurance. Respond to claim examiners.
9. Manage litigation including managing outside legal firms, responding to information requests and handling depositions
10. Manage charitable organization filings, sales tax filings, VAT tax refund filings, unclaimed property filings, and other regulatory filings.
11. Help management revise and develop internal policies and procedures including privacy policies and crisis management plan.
12. Work on special projects as requested
OTHER DUTIES Other duties as assigned including some non-legal related duties.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Experience in legal matters and reviewing contracts
• Excellent written and verbal skills a must; with the highest level to detail.
• Knowledge of USA cycling, its programs and partner organizations.
• Skill in problem solving and conflict resolution.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills.
• Experience working with corporate governance and boards of directors a plus
• Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
• Ability to supervise others
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to set work priorities, manage own time, monitor progress, meet deadlines and deal with stress effectively.
• Detail oriented with ability to proofread forms and documentation.
• Ability to travel as needed.
Licensed to practice law in Colorado
3 or more years of experience practicing law. Experience in reviewing contracts is required. Experience in employment law and in managing litigation is preferred.
General office equipment including computer, copier/printer, calculator, fax, telephone, scanner and related equipment.
Microsoft Office Suite.
Scope of Authority, Financial Authority, and Communication
Supervise one employee shared with the accounting department.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Normal office setting therefore the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include both close and distance vision. While performing duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, feel and/or reach with hands and arms. The employee is also required to stand and walk to complete tasks and occasionally may climb, balance, stoop, kneel, and crouch to complete tasks.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job.
This is a full-time salaried exempt position located in our corporate office in Colorado Springs office. Compensation is $60-70k depending on experience. USA Cycling provides excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, 403b, paid vacation, and holidays. Position will remain open until filled.
Please send resume with cover letter and references to:
Debbie Hendrix, HR Director USA Cycling