Dates Announced for 2009 National Team Selection Process
2009 National Team Selection
The athlete selection system for the 2009 Senior National Team is objective based through qualification events that include two phases:
- 1. 2009 National Team Qualifier - Colorado Springs, CO, January 10-11, 2009.
- 2. 2009 National Team Trial/Fight-Off - Austin, TX, April 24, 2009.
The 2009 National Team Qualifier is an OPEN tournament. All U.S. citizens who are black belts and a minimum of 14 years of age by December 31, 2009, are eligible to compete.
The top 4 athletes, per gender in the eight (8) weight divisions advance to the 2009 National Team Trial/Fight-Off.
The winner of each weight division at the 2009 National Team Trial/Fight-Off earns a spot on the 2009 Senior National Team. The 2009 Senior National Team will compete at the 2009 WTF World Championships.
The official 2009 Senior National Team Selection Procedures are in their final stages of approval by USAT and the Athlete Advisory Council. The detailed procedures will be posted at http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/ upon final approval. In the meantime, performance waivers for the selection process are listed below. Additional details, such as competition format and seeding procedures, will be announced after final approval of the procedures.
- a. If an athlete was a team member of the 2007 Senior National Team or 2008 Olympic Team, they are granted a performance waiver from the 2009 National Team Qualifier and granted a wavier into the 2009 National Team Trial/Fight-Off in the weight division of their choice.
- b. A 2007 Senior National Team member or 2008 Olympic Team Member may compete in the 2009 National Team Qualifier in the weight division of their choice. However, by participating they forfeit their performance waiver into the 2009 National Team Trial/Fight-Off and must qualify in the top four to move to phase 2, 2009 National Team Trial/Fight-Off.
- c. Athletes accepting a performance wavier into the 2009 National Team Trial/Fight-Off must declare the weight division in which they will compete by the early registration deadline (TBA, December 2008) of the National Team Qualifier. Team members' selected divisions will be posted on the USA Taekwondo website prior to the final registration deadline for the National Team Qualifier. Athletes eligible for a performance waiver who do not declare a weight division by the given date (TBA, December 2008) will not be eligible to compete in the 2009 National team Trial/Fight-Off.
For questions regarding the 2009 Senior National Team Selection Process please contact Meredith Miller, High Performance/National Teams Manager at Meredith.firstname.lastname@example.org or 719-866-3619.