GJNC Doles Out Seven Championship Titles on Day 4
Kristina Harter, USA Volleyball Communications Intern, Phone: (719) 228-6800 , Email: Kristina.firstname.lastname@example.org
USAV Facebook - @USA_Volleyball
USA Volleyball Junior National Championships Interactive Page
USA Volleyball Girls' Junior National Championships Results/Schedules
DALLAS (July 1, 2013) – On day four of the 2013 USA Volleyball Girls’ Junior National Championships, seven teams won championship titles in the 13 American,13 National and 13 USA Divisions, as well as the 18 Open, 18 National, 18 USA and 18 American Divisions.
The teams who took home the gold were Seal Beach 13-Tony (Southern California) in the 13 American Division, Tribe 13 Rox (Florida) in the 13 National Division, TAV 13 Black (North Texas) in the 13 USA Division, TAV 13 Black (North Texas), AVJ 18 Mizuno (Lone Star) in the 18 American Division, Tsunami 18-Val (Southern) in the 18 National Division, TAV 18 Black (North Texas) in the 18 Open Division and Iowa Rockets 18R (Iowa) in the 18 USA Division.
18 Open Division Championship
In the 18 Open Division title match, No. 2 seed TAV 18 Black and No. 1 seed Sunshine 18 Westside (Southern California) played neck and neck in set one until TAV 18 Black pulled ahead 23-20 after two consecutive kills by middle blocker Chiaka Ogbogu. That momentum led TAV 18 Black to take the set 25-20 and carried over to the second set. There, TAV 18 Black pulled ahead with an early 10-2 lead. While Sunshine 18 Westside chipped away points, TAV 18 Black completed what they had begun and won the set 25-17.
Sunshine 18 Westside made it to the gold-medal match of the 18 Open Division by defeating T-Street 18-Dan (Southern California) 25-18, 18-25, 15-13 in the semifinals, while TAV 18 Black defeated Northern Lights 18-1 (North Country) 25-11, 25-22. TAV 18 Black ended the tournament with a 10-0 record, dropping only one set to Northern Lights 18-1. Sunshine 18 Westside finished 8-2 with both losses at the hands of TAV 18 Black.
18 National Division Championship
From the first point of the match between undefeated teams, it was evident that neither Tsunami 18-Val (SO) nor NorCal 18-1 (NC) was going to surrender. Long rallies and jaw-dropping hustle plays had the fans on the edge of their seats. Tsunami 18-Val found its grove at the end of the first set and closed it out with a score of 25-18.
NorCal 18-1 responded with a fast break in the second set leaving Tsunami 18-Val in the dust 21-14. While Tsunami 18-Val fought to reach 17 points, NorCal 18-1 secured the second set 25-17. In the final set, Tsunami 18-Val fired way full-throttle, closing out the match with a 15-7 victory.
Tsunami 18-Val, which was 11-0 in the tournament, made it to the championships after defeating Missouri Mavs 18-1 (Southern California) 25-16, 25-20 in the semifinals and Rancho Volley 18 Premier (Southern California) 26-24, 27-25 in the quarterfinals. NorCal Black 18-1, which finished 10-1, made it to the championship after defeating Sunshine 18 South Bay (Southern California) 25-11, 20,25, 15, 12 in the semifinals and Zona 18-1 (Arizona) 25-11, 25-19) in the quarterfinals.
18 USA Division Championship
In the vie for the 18 USA Division title, Iowa Tockets18R faced SVVC 18-Kelli (Southern California). Set one seemed to be a steady flow of about three points in between the two teams, with Iowa Rockets 18R being on top each time. SVVC 18-Kelli stuck with it, but dropped the first contest 25-19.
Iowa Rockets 18R wanted to win the title in front of its family and friends that packed the stands in Dallas, and they did not disappoint. Led by coach Chin Nguyn, Iowa Rockets 18R completed its goal trumping SVVC18-Kelli 25-11 in the second set.
Iowa Rockets 18R (10-0) reached the 18 USA championship match my defeating AP 18 Gaxelle (Lone Star) 25-20, 24-26, 15-13 in the semifinals, while SVVC 18-Kelli (8-2) defeated Tstreet 18-Randy (Southern California) 25-23, 25-18.
18 American Division Championship
AVJ 18 Mizuno (Lone Star) swept Gold Cal Juniors Black 18-1 (Northern California) in two sets (25-13, 25-15) to take the title in a battle of undefeated teams. AVJ 18 Mizuno showed no mercy as they held Gold Cal Juniors Black 18-1 to less than 15 points in both matches.
AJV 18 Mizuno, which ended the tournament at 11-0, made it to the gold-medal match of the 18 American Division by defeating Tribe 18 Rox (Florida) 27-25, 22-25, 16-14 in the semifinals and Orange County 18 Nike (Southern California) 27-25, 25-13 in the quarterfinals. Gold Cal Juniors Black 18-1, which ended the tournament 10-1, defeated Coast 18-2 (Southern California) 25-21, 25-21 in the semifinals and beat Impact 181 (Lone Star) 22-25, 25-17, 15-13 in the quarterfinals.
13 National Division Championship
The 13 National Division gold-medal match pitted Tribe 13 Rox against OVA 13 Asics (Florida) in a three set Texas showdown.
Tribe 13 Rox led for the majority of the first set of the faceoff and presented a challenged as the game reached the 24-21 mark. OVA 13 Asics responded and rallied for a two point run before a ball handling error surrendered the first set 25-23 to Tribe 13 Rox.
Following the same pattern as the first set, Tribe 13 Rox broke away and led the game going into the match point 24-19. Rather than throwing in the towel, OVA 13 Asics saved six set points and went on an 8-0 run to close out the second set 27-25.
In the final set, there were seven lead changes before either team made it past double digits. Tribe 13 Rox found its rhythm after switching sides of the court capture the gold medal with a 15-11 victory.
Tribe 13 Rox, which reached the playoffs after two early match losses, earned its spot in the finals by winning its semifinal match over Asics Mavs 13 Blue (Heart of America) 25-18, 25-17 and overcame Laguna Beach Katy 13-1 (Southern California) 25-16, 25-18. OVA 13 Asics (Florida), reached the championship match by defeating Alamo 13Keepa Premier (Lone Star) 24-26, 25-17, 15-11 in the semifinals prior to outlasting Jammers 13 Black (Aloha) 25-23, 25-22. Both finalists ended the tournament at 9-2.
13 USA Division Championship
TAV 13 Black challenged Wave 13 Tammy (Southern California) in the three set thriller to claim the gold medal. Set one showed the equal talent of both teams as less than four points separated the two throughout the set. Wave 13 Tammy broke away during the final points to finish the set 25-21. TAV 13 Black was in for the long haul and battled for the lead to take the second game 25-17. TAV 13 Black’s momentum transferred into the third set where it captured the title with a 15-11 finish.
Wave 13 Tammy (8-1) reached the 13 USA championship match by defeating SA Sting 13 Black (Lone Star) 25-23, 25-20 in the semifinals, while TAV 13 Black, which finished 7-3 in the tournament including a first-round loss to TAV 13 Black, defeated Xtreme 13 Kaepa (Lone Star) 25-10, 25-23 in the semifinals.
13 American Division Championship
Seal Beach 13-Tony stepped on the court hungry to win. Its desire showed in a tight first set where they battled with Club West 13-National (Southern California) throughout the first set to take the 25-23 victory. In the second set, Club West 13-National did not let up easy but Seal Beach 13-Tony broke away in the final half of the set to claim the gold.
To advance to the title match, Seal Beach 13-Tony swept SG Elite Roshambo 13-1(Southern California) 25-23, 25-19 in the semifinals and Laguna Beach Katy 13-1 (Southern California) in the quarterfinals. Seal Beach 13-Tony finished the tournament 11-0 without dropping a set. Club West 13-National, which finished 10-1 with its only loss to Seal Beach 13-Tony, edged out Michio Chicago 13Natl 25-22, 21-25, 15-12 in the semifinals after defeating Dynasty 13 Blue (Heart of America) 25-10, 25-15 in the quarterfinals.
USA Volleyball Girls' Junior National Championships Schedule and Final Results
11 Patriot: Gold
(NOTE: All championship matches will be streamed live on http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Volleyball/Events/Indoor/Girls/2013-GJNC)
- OVA 11 Asics (Orlando); Silver –
Skyline 11 RoShamBo (Dallas); Bronze –
Club West 11 National (La Verne, Calif.); Bronze –
Dynasty 11 Black (Kansas City, Missouri).
12 National: Gold
– Madfrog 12’s N Lew (North Texas); Silver
– TAV 12 Black (North Texas); Bronze
– Borinquen Coqui 12-1F and Skyline 12 RSB Royal (North Texas)
12 American: Gold
– Mintonette Sports – m.21 (Ohio Valley); Silver
– Wave 12Jade (Southern California); Bronze
– Tejas 12 Nfinity (North Texas) and Xtreme 12 Kaepa (Lone Star)
13 National: Gold –
Tribe 13 Rox (Florida); Silver –
OVA 13 Asics (Florida); Bronze –
Alamo 13Kaepa Premier (Lone Star) and Asics Mavs 13 Blue (Heart of America)
13 USA: Gold
– TAV 13 Black (North Texas); Silver
– Wave 13Tammy (Southern California); Bronze
– Xtreme 13 Kaepa (Lone Star) and SA Sting 13 Black (Lone Star).
13 American: Gold
– Seal Beach 13-Tony (Southern California); Silver
– Club West 13-National (Southern California); Bronze
– Michino Chicago 13 National (Great Lakes) and SG Elite Roshambo 13-1 (Southern California)
14 Open: Gold
– Skyline 14 RSB Royal (North Texas); Silver
– Madfrog 14’s N Esper (North Texas); Bronze
– SG Elite Roshambo 14-1 (Southern California) and STL CYC 14 Green (Gateway)
14 National: Gold
– Aspire 14 Black (Arizona); Silver
– MEVBA Mizuno 14Black (Lakeshore); Bronze
– Victory 14Elite Black (North Texas) and Temecula 14-1 Elite Kat (Southern California)
14 USA: Gold
– Tejas 14 Nfinity 1 (North Texas); Silver
– HJV 14 Elite (Lone Star); Bronze
– SF JRS RoshamBo 14-1 (Northern California) and Brazos Volley 14Mizuno (Lone Star)
14 American: Gold
– FB Fire 14 Mizuno (Lone Star); Silver
– Vision Gold 14-1 (Northern California); Bronze
– Skyline 14 RSB Black (North Texas) and WACO Juniors 14 Swoosh (Lone Star)
14 Patriot: Gold
– SA Force 141
Darkside (Lone Star); Silver
– SVVC 14 Lisa (Southern California); Bronze
– TxTitans 14 National (North Texas) and Texas Diamonds 14 Black (Lone Star)
15 Open: Gold
– Arizona Storm 15 Thunder (Arizona); Silver
- Knights 15 National Royal (North Texas); Bronze
– Skyline 15 RSB Royal (North Texas) and Madfrog 15’s N Jones (North Texas)
15 National: Gold
– SA Magic 151 (Lone Star); Silver
– Springfield 15Blue (Heart of America); Bronze
– Mintonette Sports – m.51 (Ohio Valley) and NE Elite 15 Melee (Great Plains)
15 USA: Gold
– Seal Beach 15-1 Melody (Southern California); Silver
– Power 15 Nat’l-M1720 (Florida); Bronze
– FB Fire 15 Mizuno (Lone Star) and Dynasty 15 Black (Heart of America)
15 American: Gold
– Excel 15 National Gray (North Texas); Silver
– AVC Clev Rox 15 Royer (Ohio Valley); Bronze
– Victory 15Elite Black (North Texas) and BrazosValley 15Mizuno (Lone Star)
15 Patriot: Gold
– SAS Red (Aloha); Silver
– Bakersfield 15-Jill (Southern California); Bronze
– WA Lightning G15 (Badger Region) and TxTitans 15 National (North Texas)
16 Open: Gold
– Asics Mavs 16 Blue (Heart of America); Silver
– Iowa Rockets 16R (Iowa); Bronze
– Five Starz 16-1 (Northern California) and Rancho Valley 16Premi (Southern California).
16 National: Gold
- Ocala Power 16 Rox (Florida); Silver
– Premier 16 Black (North Texas); Bronze
– PVA 16 Elite (Heart of America) and Ignite 16 Elite (Hoosier)
16 USA: Gold
– Northern Lights 16-2 (Northern); Silver
– Chaska Juniors 16-1 (Northern); Bronze
– SDVBC 16-1 (Southern California) and AVJ 16 Mizuno (Lone Star)
16 American: Gold
– Houston Skyline RoShamBo (Lone Star); Silver
– Mavericks 900 16Black (Southern California); Bronze
– Main Beach Gold 16-1 (Northern California) and CIS 16M (Iowa)
16 Patriot: Gold
- KJ Baden 16-1 (Puget Sound); Silver
– Spiral 16 Black (Arizona); Bronze
– Dinamo 16 Elite Aideen (Arizona) and STL CYC 16 Green (Gateway)
17 Open: Gold
– TAV 17 Black (North Texas); Silver
– AVC Clev Rox 17 Phil (Ohio Valley); Bronze
– SG Elite 17Roshambo (Southern California) and Coast 17-1 (Southern California)
17 National: Gold
– Premier 17 Black (North Texas); Silver
– Mintonette Sports – m.71 (Ohio Valley); Bronze
– AZ Revolution 17 Premier (Arizona) and CIS 17M (Iowa)
17 USA: Gold
– AJV 17 Cedar Park (Lone Star); Silver
– Sports Shack 17-Paul (Southern California); Bronze
– Northern Lights 17-2 (North Country) and Ace 17 Smack Black (North Texas)
17 American: Gold
– SVVC 17-Christy (Southern California); Silver
– KJ Baden 17-1 (Puget Sound); Bronze
– FB Fire 17 Mizuno (Lone Star) and Topeka Impact 17-1 (Heart of America)
17 Patriot: Gold
– PSVBA 17-1 (Puget Sound); Silver
– VB Academy 17 (Lone Star); Bronze
– Seattle Juniors 17 (Puget Sound) and Aspire 17 Black (Arizona)
18 Open: Gold
– TAV 18 Black (North Texas); Silver
– Sunshine 18 Westside (Southern California); Bronze
– Northern Lights 18-1 (North Country) and Tstreet 18-Dan (Southern California).
18 National: Gold
– Tsunami 18-Val (Southern); Silver
– NorCal Black 18-1 (Northern California); Bronze
– Missouri Mavs 18-1 and Sunshine 18 South Bay (Southern California).
18 USA: Gold
– Iowa Rockets 18R (Iowa); Silver
– SVVC 18-Kelli (Southern California); Bronze
– Tstreet 18-Randy (Southern California) and AP 18 Gazelle (Lone Star)
18 American: Gold
– AJV 18 Mizuno (Lone Star); Silver
– Gold Cal Juniors 18-1 (Northern California); Bronze
– Coast 18-2 (Southern California) and Tribe 18 Rox (Florida)