USA Weightlifting Criterion Offenses: Convictions of, disclosures of, convictions of, and pending dispositions for crimes on this list will prompt a determination that an applicant ‘does not meet’ the criminal background screening criteria and a red light determination will be issued.
Criterion Offenses-Convictions of, disclosures of convictions of, and pending dispositions for any of the following crimes will prompt a determination that an applicant ‘does not meet’ the criminal background screening criteria and a red light determination will be issued:
- Any felony including an element of violence regardless of the amount of time since the offense, and any non-violent felony within the past ten (10) years (any crime punishable by confinement greater than one year).
- Defined on the basis of exposure to the offense for which the defendant was convicted, pled guilty or pled nolo contendere. If pled down, then the crime to which the defendant ultimately pled.
- Defined by all crimes punishable by greater than one year in jail or prison, regardless of how characterized by jurisdiction. If range, alternate sentencing, or indeterminate sentencing, outer range > one year.
- Any lesser crime involving force or threat of force against a person within the last seven (7) years.
- Any sex crime or offense including “victimless” crimes of a sexual nature (including pornography).
- Any lesser crime within the prior five (5) years involving controlled substances or more than one (1) offense involving controlled substances within the last ten (10) years, or any lesser crime within the prior five (5) years involving alcohol or more than one (1) offense involving alcohol within the last ten (10) years.
- Any lesser crime involving cruelty to animals.
- Any crime involving harm to a minor within the last five (5) years.
Criminal Record Screening Program: Effective July 5, 2010, all USAW members with the following participation designations, currently described as membership categories, will be required to comply with a comprehensive criminal record screening program upon renewal of membership: Level 1 Weightlifting Coach (Club Coach), Coaching Levels 2-5, Dual-Certified Coach, Non-Certified Coach, Official, Referee, Volunteer and Medical. Screening will be required every two years.
National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI) will conduct the screening at a base cost to the member of $20 (price may vary depending on state of residency) and will report to USAW convictions of any felony, any crime against a child, any crime of a sexual nature (including pornography), any crime involving threat or force of threat against a person, any crime involving controlled substances or alcohol, and any crime involving cruelty to animals. Be advised that the NCSI screening is a criminal record screening conducted for the purpose of determining eligibility for membership in USAW. It is not a reference check or a pre-employment screening. Anyone seeking to employ a USAW coach is responsible for conducting an appropriate pre-employment check for that person.
Because successful completion of the background screening program is required for the above membership categories, failure to self-register for the criminal background screening through NCSI will result in automatic forfeiture of USAW membership if screening is not completed within 90 days from the date of membership/renewal. Refer to the USAW judicial committee procedures for instructions regarding appeal from denial of membership.
Thank you for your cooperation.
*If you are unable to register online, please contact NCSI directly at (866) 833-7100.
Payment Note: NCSI accepts both Visa and MasterCard and this information is also posted on the NCSI website.
If applicants experience problems they can contact NCSI at 866 833 7100, there will be an option for technical/web issues.
Normal business hours are 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 pm. EST, Monday - Friday.